Monday, July 19, 2010

Isn't it Enough!?

I always spent my younger years detached from religion and the idea of "a creator". This wasn't because my parents tried to influence me or protect me; it just never really had any importance in our family home. Jehovah's witnesses would come knocking on our door in London and we'd politely turn them away and say we weren't interested. And that's what I never really understood. Why!? Isn't it enough that YOU already have "the ultimate truth"? Why would you waste time going around pestering people with your ideas of this and that.....

I never really got that till this past year when I decided to begin my semi-spiritual journey. I say that because I approached the matter with much trepidation and a fear of the unknown. This was all very new to me and I confess I was afraid of "missing out" at many times. I still am.

So I started reading. A lot. I guess my main reason for kick starting this endeavor was the abundance of Christian friends and missionaries I had forged relationships with over the past year or two in my high school. I wanted to better understand them and their faith. It is also worth mentioning that I was intrigued by religion, and the Bible in particular, because SO many people considered it Holy and God's word. I mean, if a greater percentage of Earth's population believes something to be true, then surely it has to be? Right?

This period of scrutinizing scripture and popular opinion continued for a few months and slowly I began to create my own perception of what was going on. I finally began talking to people about what I believed. I found compelled to share MY version of "the ultimate truth" with friends and family. Needless to say, with all the theist friends I have, this caused a lot of "heated debates". But it's ironic, I thought those Jehovah's witnesses were crazy and out of place, but I had turned into one of them. I wanted people to hear MY interpretation of things. So, to answer the title, it was not, and never will be, enough for me to know or believe. We all have a voice (or fingers for those of us who are into blogging :D ) and it would be a damn shame if we didn't use it. Diversity is something that has made the human race like no other. To me, thats probably the only good thing religion has done for humans (thats not including all the wars that have been fought in the name of God and all the lives that have been taken because we felt our creator commanded us of this, but, I digress).

To summarize, "In The Image Of" is simply a collection of essay's on topics that I have (and still am) contemplated over this past year. I felt it was time to organize my thoughts and hopefully reach a broader range of audience. For any of you who are wondering what I actually believe; I'm not telling! I'm sure you will be able to decipher my convictions while reading my pieces.

One more thing: I reserve the right to be mistaken. I also reserve the right to make a fool of myself by not believing in something or believing in something else. I will never be closed to a one dimensional realm of belief, much like religion tries to make us do, but will be open to everything. Who knows, in a few months I might be blogging about how foolish I was the past two years and accept Christ as my Saviour. Or Allah. Maybe even Buddha.....

3 comments:

  1. I truly agree with your point of view, the basic problem that the world is facing today is extremism and the reason why this problem prevails is because of the fact that we have closed ourselves to point of views of other people. Until and unless we live in some one else's shoes for a while there is no way we will ever be able to understand their views and decipher whether what we believe in is true.Therefore, I believe in exploring every religion and belief system in the world thoroughly.
    Is that what u are getting at also?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, what i'm really trying to convey here is that getting to know God is NOT the same as simply having a religion. I honestly believe that each and every religion in the world is trying to describe the same God. The one God. One of the many things they have gotten wrong is that they all claim to be correct and everyone else is wrong, thereby shutting themselves off from being open and appreciating diversity.

    And i totally agree w what u said about walking in each others shoes. Theres a reason a child born in a Christian home will have the same strength in Jesus as a child born in a Muslim home will have in Allah. We need to understand each other and our convictions and get rid of the "im right, your wrong" mentality and stop trying to change each other. We just need to start loving and appreciating one another more as human beings....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was taking a second look at some posts here and noticed that I hadn't commented on this one yet! How I missed it I have no idea since it was the very first one, but oh well. I'll comment now.

    Yumna says:"the basic problem that the world is facing today is extremism and the reason why this problem prevails is because of the fact that we have closed ourselves to point of views of other people."-- I agree to a certain extent but I think that I would still rate political correctness as the greatest evil(in America at least) because it doesn't let people stand up for what they believe in.

    Now Elird writes:"I honestly believe that each and every religion in the world is trying to describe the same God. The one God." U sure about that? Have you looked at all the religions in the world? I haven't and I can say for sure that absolutely NOT all are describing a single god.

    ReplyDelete